Bilinda Ni Siodacain's Books

Monday, 23 June 2014

How I live now… Writer!

Wow, its been a while since I updated this blog.

I've spent a lot of time mulling over whether or not I would even come back and ever update this place. I've changed a lot since I was last here, my life has changed since I was last here. I've achieved things I never thought I would.

I stopped writing under this name and to be perfectly honest it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. That's not to say I won't ever come back to it, I will. I have a sequel to The Violet Line in the works and I plan on taking what I know now and applying it to this name. What will happen when I do that, I don't know, most likely nothing and that's fine.

I have a quite a few pen names now and I make a full time living writing. A full time living means different things to different people, my income is the equivalent to the CEO of a very successful company. And that's how I view writing, it's a business, I am a business person. I'm not an 'artist', I don't want to be an artist because it won't put money in my bank account.

I will however say that I'm a storyteller, I'm a good storyteller but there's always room for improvement and I constantly strive to get better. The day I think I know it all where writing is concerned is the day I stop writing.

My one goal when I sit down to write a book is to entertain my audience. The reader and their experience is the only thing that matters. Many writers will tell you otherwise, they'll say story, or plot, or even the technical side of writing like grammar etc is the most important aspect and perhaps for them it is. That's the level they're at and I can't fault them for it.

It's not where I am.

When a reader picks up one of my books, I don't want them to be able to put it down. I want them to read cover to cover in one sitting, I want them up all night because they have to know what happens next to the character, I want them invested and I want the experience to be as real and as raw as possible. And that's what I constantly strive to give to my audience.

The point of this blog post, well it doesn't really have one other then to say where I am in my career. Over the next few posts I write, I'll go into some detail over what methods I used to get myself to the point of being a full time writer. It's a lot of hard work and a heck of a lot of letting your business head over rule your heart but it's worth it.

It's worth it for the emails I receive telling me how much they loved the book, or the characters. It's worth it for the messages that tell me I helped them through something difficult, that a book I wrote got them through a dark time. It's worth it for the connection I create each and every time someone opens one of my books and begins to read. And I wouldn't change it for the world.






3 comments:

GeraldG said...

I am really looking forward to your upcoming posts. I am a writer so any information, tips and advice you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bilinda Ní Siodacaín said...

Thanks, Gerald, I hope you can get something out of it :)

TanjaG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.